DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion

Walter Andrew Scott walter.scott at utah.edu
Tue Jan 24 21:43:20 UTC 2012

I now realize that I mis-read your previous email. We are doing simple "fixed-address-6" reservations for clients running (so far) Mac OS, Windows 7, and RHEL 6.2. We haven't tried prefix delegation, and we don't have the problem of working with home routers as clients.

That said, here is the format of our reservations (even though I'm not sure it will be helpful):

host whatever {
    hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05;
    fixed-address6 1000:2000:3000:4000::8000;
}

Casey, thanks for letting me know about the changelog entry about the new feature making this possible.. I am constantly forgetting about Redhat's porting policies and the subsequent version mismatches.

It looks like maybe I should fire off an email to dhcp-suggest at isc.org requesting some additional logging options (namely linking link-local addresses and/or MAC addresses with client DUIDs).

Walter A. Scott
Web Application Developer
Center for High Performance Computing