DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Tue Jan 24 17:33:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM, perl-list <perl-list at network1.net> wrote:

> I for one would love to see your config to see how you are doing this.
>  The hardware ethernet isn't included in the DHCPv6 packet (at least as far
> as I can see from packet captures) other than as part of the client-id
> (DUID) on *SOME* clients (ie: NOT d-link).  Would love to see your
> configs...  Didn't know the DHCP server decoded the DUID to know what the
> hardware ethernet is.
>

>From DHCP 4.2.3-P2 release notes [1]:

"Changes since 4.1.0 (new features)
- The 'hardware [ethernet|etc] ...;' parameter in host records has been
extended to attempt to match DHCPv6 clients by the last octets of a
DUID-LL or DUID-LLT provided by the client."

This feature was added in DHCP 4.2.0, but RedHat has backported this change
to the 4.1.x version distributed with RHEL6.2.

Casey

[1] https://deepthought.isc.org/article/AA-00595