DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Mon Jan 23 19:21:06 UTC 2012

Folks,

I recently found this thread: https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-March/008317.html that describes in perfect detail the problem I am currently having. To summarize: There is nothing in DHCPv4 that correlates to some available information in DHCPv6 allowing identification of the client device uniquely across both. Having the link layer (currently MAC) address included in DHCPv6 would immediately solve this problem.

Do we know if the draft document submission to the IETF regarding the inclusion of the link layer address in the DHCPv6 packets that Frank Sweetser mentions was ever done? If so, how was the document received at the IETF? Are they planning to amend DHCPv6 specs with the requirement of the link layer address? I don't see how we, at our organization, can proceed with IPv6 rollout using DHCPv6 without being able to somehow correlate both a DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 assignment to a single client device.