DHCP Relay - Non Compliance with RFC 3046 - Relay unicast packets from client for DHCP server address

Suresh Babu Addala Gajapathy agsureshbabu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 06:54:42 UTC 2012

Hi all

We are using ISC DHCP on Linux Host.. We are facing given below issue with
the DHCP Relay.

As per RFC 3406, Page 7,
"Relay agents are NOT required to monitor or modify client-originated
DHCP packets addressed to a server unicast address.  This  includes
the DHCP-REQUEST sent when entering the RENEWING state."

But the DHCP relay monitors for unicast packets and relays the same to the
DHCP Server.

since the client addresses the packet to DHCP Server, the packet is routed
in linux kernel.

Because of this we are receiving 2 packets from the Linux box.
Please let us know is this expected behaviour from ISC DHCP or there is
patch avaliable to address the same.
thanks
suresh