Failover vs. DHCPv6 vs. Prefix Delegation

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 19:03:32 UTC 2012

Shawn Routhier wrote:

>In addition to the PD case there is also the case that you might want to
>continue using the same IP addresses even after one of your server's dies.
>The typical V6 argument of having multiple DHCP servers that server disjoint
>sets of addresses would not work in that case.

Which would be the case with any system that you need to access
(publicly or privately) by DNS. Accessing things locally by mDNS is
one thing, but once you go beyond the local net and rely on DNS
propagation then it can take days.

And for me at home, I've started experimenting on my ISPs IPv6 trial
- but as yet have not got a way of automating my internal setup based
on DHCP6 PD. That means if my ISP changed the delegation, everything
but my gateway would become isolated until I manually reconfigured it.

--
Simon Hobson