Which is the API to call first to invoke the ISC DHCP-4.2.3

Jeff Waller jeffw at cnxntech.com
Thu Feb 16 12:25:26 UTC 2012

Wow dude, this question is really too vague for anyone to really answer.  I don't like being mean spirited
but it makes me think this is something that you have next to no experience with because you're not
including some really important details that would help us answer your question.  It might be the language
barrier though.

Even stillI believe I know, what project you are working on based on your previous posts though, and so
I'm going to guess at the answer.

What I THINK you are trying to do is place this server on some busybox enabled embedded device like some
commodity home router (CPE).  Either this is part of some open software like open WRT or some
business solution likely the latter.

You may be asking how your application can intercept and inspect all packets, but I think this unlikely
and in any case of dubious purpose; let the DHCP server do it's thing don't processes packets and hand
them off to the server. You may want to maintain some accounting or administrative state based on the
arrival of DHCP associated packets or perhaps trigger some action, though and I'd say turn to iptables
for that.

You may also be asking about how  you could control the DHCP server or have some administrative
server that configures that server, that's useful.  In that case turn to OMAPI like your previous
questions have indicated you have considered.  People have come to expect these devices have
some sort of controlling website running on the device, but an interesting project is to make it
so that your device can be controlled/administered by some external system.  You might consider
implementing TR-069, but you company is going to have to invest in resources for that,
still, it's useful to get an understanding.

Finally, I think you're posing this question to the wrong forum, most of the guys on this list are
users of DHCP not programmers, and as a friend of mine would say they probably couldn't recognize
a C++ object even if it painted itself purple and ran up and down their street yelling "I am a C++
object!!" Ask on one of the forums/irc associated with those open-source projects that you are
replicating you may be surprised on how forthcoming they are, but you going to need to be
specific.  I'm sure someone in the world has hit the same problem you are wrestling with now,
but probably not on this mailing list.

Do reply though, I will help as I can, but I'm going to stop short or doing your work for you as some
or your previous posts seem to ask for, sorry about that, bro.

-Jeff