change ip address every 6 hours

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Feb 16 04:15:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 08:44:20AM -1000, Yannick CHAMPS wrote:
> We are a new isp and now  in competition with the historical ISP which
> is switching ip adresses every 12h since its beginning and does not
> offer fixed ip address service.

Put the customers with "non-fixed" addresses behind a NAT gateway.  Give
the customers private IP and map them to a pool of public addresses.

Track lease assignments using an OMAPI program (man omshell, or try the
Perl bindings).  After a lease is 6 hours old, do something to disrupt
the NAT translation for that customer.  It depends on your gateway, but
they usually have commands like "clear ip nat translation <ip-address>"
that remove all NAT sessions from the gateway.  If your NAT gateway
supports public address pools, then with any luck the customer's next
outgoing session might get a new address from the pool.

Failing that, give the NAT gateway one public IP address for the
"non-fixed" customers.   Change that address every 6 hours :-).
Only the people doing long-term downloads will notice, and they will
blame it on "Internet weather".