change ip address every 6 hours

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Feb 15 08:22:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 22:00 -1000, Yannick CHAMPS wrote:
> Our "legitimate" reason is : we want to charge subcribers for fixed ip
> address service.
> So others must have their ip addresses changed regularly.

OT of course, but I'm seriously happy I'm not one of your customer. To
spend time (= money) making your product _worse_ for your customers,
hoping they will spend money buying the service as it would be without
your tampering? I hope this doesn't pay off, that the expense of
implementing this plus the lost customers' revenue are larger than what
you can charge those customers buying the "product".

My home ISP uses DHCP and tells people that the addresse _might_ change.
I had the same address for nearly half a year before a service window
and router restart changed it. I'm now paying them a token amount for
the _certainty_ of having the same IP address.

--
Peter