Duplicated IP's

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 18:13:41 UTC 2012

Moayad mohammad wrote:

>1-      sometimes the dhcpd service provide CPE with duplicated IP's
>(Already assigned or reserved to other CPE), so the CPE connect for
>1-2 seconds then disconnected then try again to connect and get the
>same duplicated IP then disconnected. To solve this issue I have to
>add new pool of IP's.

OK, where did the other device get it's IP from ? Do you have static
assignments which are also in a range statement ? If so then you are
almost guaranteed to get this double allocation - you as the
administrator are responsible for not assigning an IP statically to a
client AND allowing it to be assigned dynamically to another client.

>2-      Also sometime when I do MAC reservation then delete this
>reservation the CPE try to connect with the same IP till I force it
>to get another IP through another reservation.

The client can continue using it until the lease expires. Once the
lease expires then it should start broadcasting DHCP-Requests and
accept any address it is offered. Does you system offer it another
address (without you making a new static assignment) ?

--
Simon Hobson