Failover and config differences

Bjarne Blichfeldt BJB at jndata.dk
Mon Dec 17 06:37:38 UTC 2012

I think you two are talking about different things.

The original poster , as I understand it, has a setup where the available IP space is divided in 2 adress ranges, each served by
its own dhcp server. If one dhcp server drops out, there is only one server left and also only half the address space available.
This is no longer going to work, hence  "one server is no longer enough to serve the number of clients". Not because of speed limits, but because of lack
of IP addresses.

In a failover setup, the resulting server would be set to "partner down" and handle the entire address range.
One dhcp server is now able to "serve the number of clients".

We have the second setup and that works nicely - within the limitations stated in the documentation. The config files in our setup are
generated from a management station and pushed to the dhcp servers which  are restarted after config change. There is usually about a gap of
about 10 minutes where the config files differ. This has so far not been a problem.

Or I could be totally wrong too....

Kind regards
Bjarne Blichfeldt