Failover and config differences

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 12:28:32 UTC 2012

All,

We run DHCP with a mix of fixed-address statements for desktop PCs, and
dynamic pools for roaming laptops and wi-fi clients. The config -
subnets, host and pool statements - is generated out of our SQL database
every 15 minutes and diff/reload. There are tens of thousands of each
type of IP (fixed-address and pool).

Many moons ago, we used to run DHCP failover between two servers, but we
abandoned it during a re-architect of our config generation in favour of
"split the lease pool on half". At that time, this was sufficient (and
simpler).

As time has gone by, the usage of the dynamic pools has risen to the
point where one server is no longer enough to serve the number of
clients - particularly on our wireless network. For this reason we're
considering re-enabling failover, but I have a couple of concerns.

One is that, as noted, we re-build and reload the DHCP config quite
frequently. 20-30 times a day might not be unusual, depending on the
number of updates into the database.

I was never clear how (if at all) failover handled the config being
different at each end. For example, suppose I have a config fragment:

network x netmask y {
   pool {
     192.168.1.10 192.168.1.20;
     failover peer xxx;
   }
}

...and the pool changes for whatever reason:

network x netmask y {
   pool {
     192.168.1.10 192.168.1.18;
     # 192.168.1.19 is now gone
     192.168.1.20;
     failover peer xxx;
   }
}

...and one DHCP server re-starts fractionally (say a minute, for
example) before the other. What happens?

Related: what happens if I make an OMAPI update that affects lease
allocation, and the updates don't happen on both servers at the same time?

Also related: if we have an extended outage and I put the server into
partner-down, can I continue to update the config on the working server,
or should I stop the updates? Or do I need to guarantee in some
unspecified fashion that the dead server can't re-animate until it has
the newest config?

Cheers,
Phil