dhclient: lease renewal woes

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:14:18 UTC 2012

I have a bit of a conundrum which is causing me a few problems and I am
hoping that any of you might be able to help me with: I am using
dhclient to get a lease from my provider via a cable modem. When I
acquire a new lease the following sequence occurs:

1. dhclient broadcasts DHCPREQUEST on 255.255.255.255;
2. my cable modem (which has a private IP address) responds and offers a
lease;
3. dhclient then accepts the lease and records it in the .leases file.

So far so good, but the .leases file has "option dhcp-server-identifier"
which points to an external dhcp server (with public IP address in it,
say 82.x.x.x). When a time comes and dhclient needs to renew the lease
it tries to contact this 82.x.x.x address. The problem with this
approach is that my provider's DHCP server doesn't respond to direct
queries and they get ignored.

So, is there a way to "force" dhclient to always use a broadcast
(255.255.255.255) in order to renew the lease instead of contacting the
IP address specified in the dhcp-server-identifier field in the .leases
file directly?

That way, when the lease needs to be renewed dhclient will start with a
broadcast DHCPREQUEST, then my cable modem (with its private IP address)
will respond to that request and the lease will be renewed swiftly as in
the above sequence?

As it stands though, when the lease renewal comes about, my dhclient
becomes "stuck" and I have to restart it. I am also not sure if I
"manually" intervene and alter the dhcp-server-identifier to point to
255.255.255.255 would help either. Many thanks in advance for any help
and advice given.