Sending IP range not in same range as Ethx

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:04:44 UTC 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 8:03 PM, Dod wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  4.1-ESV-R4 on Debian
>
>  I have a problem setting subnet that is not part of the IP range on
>  which the Eth of the machine running DHCP daemon is.
>
>  My need :
>
>  Send IP within 10.19.1.1 to 10.19.13.254
>  mask 255.255.240.0
>  gateway 10.19.0.1
>
>  Problem  is that the Eth1 on wich the dhcp machine is running is not
>  in  10.19  range  so  when  I  start  it  it  say it cannot find any
>  interface with that subnet.

No, you misunderstood the error message. It is saying that it can't find a subnet declaration for its own local subnet. You need a subnet declaration, even if it's empty. See below.

> Why  do  it  need  to be in same subnet ? is it for DHCP negociation
>  when  it  tries  to  echo  the  IP  it  will propose to see if it is
>  actually used ?

Sending a ping before assigning the address is an option, off by default. But it has nothing to with your question, which is based on a false premise.

> Second question, what is the parameter that permit to set 10.19.0.1
>  as gateway ?

Assuming your DHCP server is on the address 192.0.2.2:

subnet 192.0.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

subnet 10.19.0.0 netmask 255.255.240.0 {
	option routers 10.19.0.1;
	range 10.19.1.1 10.19.13.254;
}

Regards,