What does this error message mean?

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Mar 17 13:21:02 UTC 2011

On 03/17/11 23:56, Martin McCormick wrote:
> A Fluke Network tester is unable to get a DHCP lease on a given
> network and keeps declining every lease offered to it by
> dhcpd3.3.1. If everybody was declining leases, I would think we
> had a rogue dhcp server, but a sniffer capture shows there is
> none. The message reads:
>
> dhcpd: DHCPDECLINE of 64.112.253.43 from 00:c0:17:b6:1a:06 via em0: not found
>
> 	On a different subnet, we saw an Iphone decline one
> lease which was reported "abandoned" afterward and it did
> successfully obtain a lease on the next try so I don't think
> that is the same problem.
>
> 	Interestingly enough, the Fluke did obtain a lease on
> one of the other subnets but it absolutely refuses to take any
> lease I offer it when talking directly through the interface.
> Other systems in the same subnet as the actual em0 interface
> work normally.

It means the Fluke did not like the dhcpoffer for some reason and
declined to use that address. This could be for a variety of reasons,
such as the inclusion or omission of an option setting.

I'd try a packet capture between the device and server to see what is
being communicated. There might be some more detail to help work out
what it dislikes.

--
regards,
-glenn