DISCOVER at wrong port

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Jun 8 11:10:53 UTC 2011

Ok, so what you should see on the server is:

% netstat -an | grep 67
       *.67                                Idle

This means the server is listening on port 67. The dhclient should be
listening on port 68 for replies. The client may or may not use port 68
as the source port. Likewise the server may or may nor use port 67 as
the source port.

The relay is kind of special, it needs to listen on port 68 for
broadcast messages from clients. dhcp server send packets to the relay
using unicast (as opposed to broadcast). It then re-transmits those
packets to the client using a broadcast. The unicast communications
follows normal conventions - the relay transmits from a random port
 >1023 with destination port 67. The responses should come back as
source port 67 and destination the random high port on the relay.

Are you seeing something different to this? Your description doesn't
help work out what is wrong, so can you post dhcp logs and packet dumps
using tcpdump? Should only need to see a couple to packets. dhcpd.conf
and the command line used to start the relay would also be helpful.

regards,
-glenn