Update RE: UNICAST and BROADCAST mode response

Vic Berdin vic at digi.ph
Thu Jun 2 05:10:46 UTC 2011

Hi Simon (and everyone),

Thanks for your reply.

Refering to the "Bootstrap Protocol, bootp flag" setting, upon DISCOVERY
from all clients within our network, I notice that the default is always in
UNICAST mode. However, if a client send a DISCOVERY in BROADCAST mode,
ISC-DHCPd will start to respond in BROADCAST mode as well. The issue I
encounter however, is that from then on, the server will always respond in
BROADCAST mode even if other clients are talking in UNICAST.

I then found out that the issue may be fixed with the use of
'always-unicast' parameter. And in such case, the server goes back to
UNICAST mode after talking to a BROADCAST mode client.

My questions now are:

1. Why does the server stay at BROADCAST mode once a client start talking in
BROADCAST even if other clients that follow are talking in UNICAST
2. Is the 'always-unicast' in dhcpd.conf setting the most ideal solution to
this server behavior?

Again, my server is isc-dhcpd-4.2.1. If additional information or packet
captures are needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Vic

Message: 1