duplicate uid leases

Kevan Carstensen kacarstensen at csupomona.edu
Wed Jun 1 17:41:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

We have a pair of servers running DHCP 4.1 in a failover configuration.
We see a lot of messages like the following in our logs:

	Mar 26 04:53:32 servername dhcpd: uid lease xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for client xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is duplicate on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx

They seem to occur most frequently after a client sends a DHCPDISCOVER
that is answered with a DHCPOFFER by both of our servers. In that
scenario, the server whose offer isn't later requested by the client
logs the message upon receiving the client's DHCPREQUEST. The uid lease
referenced by the message is the same lease offered by the server to the
client (i.e., the lease that the client didn't request in its
DHCPREQUEST message).

We haven't heard or seen anything that suggests that these messages
correspond to service issues for clients on our network. Has anyone
investigated these messages enough to say whether they might correspond
to a problem?

Thanks,
--
Kevan Carstensen                        <kacarstensen at csupomona.edu>
Operating Systems Analyst, I&IT Systems, Cal Poly Pomona