Adding host entry dynamically using dhcpctl functions ( dhcp hungs )

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Jul 5 20:56:52 UTC 2011

On 05/07/11 14:21, Johnson koil Raj wrote:
> Any other way to reserve an IP to a Machine ( static IP configuration at
> DHCP server side) *not at the machine.*

	Have you considered that, by design, the same address is used
	not only when the lease is renewed before it expires, but also
	on any later occasion when an address is requested for what
	appears to be the same machine (same uid, if any; otherwise
	same hardware address) UNLESS it was necessary to give away
	the address in order to satisfy a request from an unknown
	machine?  This should only happen when all addresses in the
	pool are marked 'used';  in this case, offering a 'free' address
	is preferred to refusing to offer any address.

	Unless your pool is too small to accommodate the number of
	machines you're planning to serve, normal default lease
	management may be sufficient to meet your requirements.

	If you feel that this approach still involves more risk
	than you're prepared to bear, you may find it useful to
	search the mail archives for "reserved lease" or the like.

	I hope this helps (and that I'm not mistaken).

	Best regards,
	Niall O'Reilly