DHCP-Server issues reserved ip address to any device?

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Fri Jan 21 03:24:38 UTC 2011

The risk of a DHCP assigned IP address being leased to another system depends on the sizes of the pool and client community for a given network subnet and the stability of the user community.

With the ISC DHCP implementation, the only DHCP pools where I've observed the same IP address being leased to multiple systems are pools that support VPN connections.  I've never seen an IP address leases to multiple systems for subnets used to support offices and cubicles or server rooms.

But I tend to pay attention to factors such as the number of work places that you could put into a physical area and the number of switches and ports that could be placed in the IDF that supports the physical area.  Add in a fudge factor, let DHCP perform and manage all dynamic DNS updates, and all DHCP leases become permanent.

Sent from my iPad