How can I configure a DHCP server to assign addresses based on the OS that is running Solved maybe!

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Jan 17 11:01:30 UTC 2011

On 01/17/11 05:10, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> On 1/16/2011 4:27 AM, Glenn Satchell wrote:
>> Perhaps forcing the client to release the IP when shutting down might
>> work for you? I am not sure wha happens if you suspend, or just pickup
>> the laptop and move it while running.
> Thanks Glenn for the idea of running a script or configuring the DHCP
> client on each laptop to release its lease when it shuts down. Deploying
> this approach to each laptop is, as always, a bit of a headache, but
> doable. As for those who simply suspend the laptop, or move it while
> running, a reboot will fix the IP assignment and guess we will just have
> to live with that. Not a perfect answer, but what is? LOL
>
> It will sure beat the approach I have been taking, when I get a
> complaint, which is to stop the dhcpd server, hand edit the leases
> database file and remove the particular lease from it, then restart the
> dhcpd server!

Yeah, not a perfect solution, but sometimes it makes someone think in a
different direction, and out pops a better idea...

You know you can use omapi to set the expiry date for a lease in the
past, so it will be freed immediately. I think you need version
3.1.something to do it. Searching the list archives would find it. Then
you could wrap a simple script around it and zap those leases easily.

regards,
-glenn