Allocating fixed IPv6 addresses to hosts with multiple NICs

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Thu Jan 13 11:59:44 UTC 2011

On 1/13/2011 3:19 AM, John.Gibbins at csiro.au wrote:
> Thanks Frank,
>
> We are an Enterprise.  We want to have control over what machines are allowed
> on our network and to be able to easily identify them by their IP addresses.
> EUI-64 and MS random addresses used by SLAAC make this hard so we want to use
> DHCPv6 to hand out addresses only to known machines.  We have a /32 block so
> we have an obscene number (2^96) of addresses to play with.

This issue has been brought up before.  Take a look at
https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-February/008088.html for one of
the longer discussions on it.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken