how to do client seperation using Vendor ID in ISC DHCP??????

ameen.shajahan at wipro.com ameen.shajahan at wipro.com
Mon Dec 26 14:33:04 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Let us assume that there would be 2 servers running , so 2 clients   should connect to the server.
I am using ISC dhcp-4.2.3 code.

[cid:image003.png at 01CCC407.8248B540]Linux server --------------->switch                        PC1
[cid:image004.png at 01CCC407.8248B540]
running two process
[cid:image006.png at 01CCC407.8248B540]i:e dhcpd                                                                       PC2

PC1 as client 1
PC2 as client 2

in switch , two ports are used to connect PC1 and PC2
these two ports I have configured as vlans 1 and 2.  (access port)

Vlan 1 for PC1 connection.
Vlan 2 for PC2 connection

Initially we would have configured in server side about which subnet it should listen.

For example :

Ifconfig etho add 10.1.1.1
Ifconfig eth1 add 20.1.1.1

But I got one information from dhcp users , there are methods available and I mentioned below.

1) Declare host statements for clients required in one subnet, then use allow/deny known-hosts to allow them in one and deny them in the other.

2) Use classes and subclasses to assign clients in much the same way (typically by list of MAC addresses.

3) Use classes matches on some arbitrary expression (could be vendor ID etc) to separate clients.

But I need information about method 3 due to my requirements. How to do that type of client separation.  Please let me know.

For example in dhcpd.conf contains 10subnets

                #vi dhcpd.conf

   subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 {

   }

   subnet 20.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 {