how to test the scalibity and stabilty of ISC DHCP???

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Wed Dec 7 11:15:25 UTC 2011

Hello

On 7 December 2011 00:50, Chris Buxton <chris.p.buxton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a similar, but slightly more detailed, question.
>
> How can I calculate how much memory a DHCP server will require, based on the number of addresses and also on the number of failover relationships? I have a client who wants to use several dozen failover relationships (hub and spoke, ~30 spokes) supporting around 35K leases, on a budget box (1 GB memory, small-ish hard drive, 1000 Mbit network).
>
> Does anyone think that will work? Or that it won't work? I'm inclined to think he needs a bigger box as the hub, but I don't have any data to back that up.

Easiest: make the data. If you are going to buy 30 boxes the cost of
buying one more and leaving it as spare if it does not work as the hub
is not that bad. Also the memory and hardrive can be replaced in most
systems so you can likely just upgrade it anyway.

If you want something really fast you can use a SSD for drive, those
are not that expensive anymore and something like 40G is more than
enough to hold a system and 35k leases.

I don't think 1G ram is that small, though. It gives 29M ram per lease.

HTH

Michal