DHCPRELEASE on a bootP Address

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Fri Aug 5 17:44:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Simon Hobson wrote:

> David Forrest wrote:
>
>> But why would a statically configured IP be sending a DHCPRELEASE packet
>> anyway?
>
> It isn't !
> As far as the client is concerned, it is **NOT** statically configured - it's
> been dynamically configured by DHCP. The fact that the DHCP server may have a
> static assignment is both irrelevant and invisible to the client.
>
> As such, the client is free to release it's lease at any time should it
> decide to de-configure a network interface. It doesn't need permission from
> the server to do so.

Then the server should have an IP for it previously assigned outside the
range of available dhcpd addresses and process the request with the
parameters in dhcpd.conf without maintaining it in the leases file.  I
don't see what damage an extraneous DHCPRELEASE packet would cause. Ignore
it.  Perhaps ignoring it ought to be defaulted in the server code.

Am I missing something?

--
David Forrest
St. Louis, Missouri