about concept "group", "shared-network", and "subnet", thanks.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 19:02:48 UTC 2011

Marc Perea wrote:

>I'm currently configured with 2 shared-network statements, and I'm
>guessing it's wrong. My DHCP server resides on a single vlan, single
>interface. The interface is on our server VLAN, where it is not
>authoritative and I want to ignore booting. I made that one
>shared-network (ignore-me). Our BRAS is a L3 relay and directs all
>DHCP broadcast to unicast by IP to the server. I made this a 2nd
>shared-network. I originally had it all as one S-N, but dhcpd was
>still responding to requests on the server VLAN, so I moved it out
>to actually ignore booting. My configuration snip:
>
>shared-network "ignore me" {
>         subnet 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.128 { #SERVER VLAN
>                 ignore booting;
>         }
>}
>
>shared-network "vlan 2" {
>         subnet 10.1.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 { #TEST ISG-10K
>                 authoritative;
>         }
>         subnet 10.170.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 { #LOAD TEST
>                 authoritative;
>         }
>         subnet 10.2.0.0 netmask 255.255.192.0 { #PRODUCTION ISG-10K
>                 authoritative;
>         }
>         subnet 10.3.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.128 { #ASR1
>                 authoritative;
>         }
>}
>
>Does this appear right or wrong? If it's wrong, any explanation of
>why moving the server subnet into the vlan-2 S-N would cause it to
>hand out IPs from one of the other subnets, instead of ignoring
>booting?

There isn't enough information to say whether your setup is right or wrong.

Going backwards, the reason having your server subnet in the single
shared-subnet is wrong is simply because that's not your network
topology. As has already been said, a shared network is where the
different IP subnets share the same broadcast domain - effectively if
they are plugged into the same switch.
Where VLANs are concerned, think of each VLAN in terms of being a
separate virtual switch.

The key test is this. Can you unplug a device in the 10.1.0.0
network, and plug into the same socket a device in the 10.170.0.0
network and have it work correctly WITH NO OTHER CHANGES ? If not
then they are not the same network and the subnets should not be in a
shared network.

As an example of what is NOT a shared network. Suppose 10.1.0.0 is on
a network in one building, and 10.170.0.0 is on a completely separate
network in another building - but connected via one or more routers,
links etc. Taking a device to the first building and configuring it
with a 10.170.0.0 address won't work, and vice versa.
You definitely must NOT use shared-network in this case. If you do,
then the DHCP server could assign either a 10.1.0.0 or a 10.170.0.0
address to a device in either network, and of course, it's going to
be pot luck whether the device gets a usable address or not. This is
because when the server gets a relayed request via (say) 10.1.0.1 as
the relay agent, it looks in the config and you've told it that
10.170.0.0 is available there as well.

As an aside, I'm fairly certain you cannot mix authoritative and
not-authoritative in a shared network. The DHCP server is either
authoritative or it isn't for a PHYSICAL network. So you probably
only want to put authoritative at the shared-network level.

Stemen, Andrew Michael wrote:
>It is my practice (and I recommend it to others) that every network
>have a shared-network statement, simply for greater clarity, even if
>there is only one subnet on that network.

I'll disagree there and suggest not using shared networks if you
don't need them. It's another level of nesting to get confused over,
and it's something else to confuse a novice admin that has to take
over when you get knocked down by the proverbial bus.

--
Simon Hobson