prefix delegation for IPv6.

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Nov 18 20:19:48 UTC 2010

> What is the purpose of prefix delegation?
> I read the RFC 3633 and do not get it.
>
> Is it correct to assume that on a small LAN, with only one router, there
> is no need for delegating several prefixes?
> And hence a radvd configured to advertise it's router address is
> sufficient?

I wouldn't claim to speak for the authors of RFC 3633 - but one use
is for a service provider to delegate for instance a /56 or a /48
prefix using DHCPv6 PD, and then the customer can have several
routed LAN segments behind one connection to the service provider.

In today's IPv4 world it is not too uncommon to have the customer
request several IPv4 addresses using DHCPv4. With DHCPv6 only one
prefix per customer would be needed.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no