dhcpd stops issuing leases with sporadic "no available billing: lease limit reached in all matching classes"

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon May 10 16:02:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 16:20 +1000, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> Can you post your dhcpd.conf and messages from the logs?

Here's a sanitized dhcpd.conf:
http://wiktel.net/rlaager/dhcpd-sanitized.conf

Things in ALL CAPS and MAC addresses of all zeros are the bits that have
been changed. Also, sections of duplicated information have been reduced
to one example followed by a comment saying "More similar entries...".

I did some further testing to clarify my understanding of the "no
available billing" error. Initially, I thought this "lease limit reached
in all matching classes" was a more specific type of the "no available
billing" error (which is what we saw in previous versions), but that
doesn't seem to be the case.

We have a default lease limit of 2 for DSL customers. If they try to get
more than two leases, we see a log message for that customer of "no
available billing: lease limit reached in all matching classes". This is
normal behavior.

The abnormal behavior is that we sporadically hit periods where we'll
see massive numbers of the same "no available billing: lease limit
reached in all matching classes" error for the wireless subnets or the
office subnet. None of these networks are configured with a lease limit
at all.

Here's an example of a log message in the abnormal situation:
May  4 19:14:01 peach dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 69.89.195.51 from 00:00:00:00:00:00 (USERNAME) via eth0: no available billing: lease limit reached in all matching classes

That IP is in a pool that should not be subject to a lease limit.

Richard