DNS Search List

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Mar 20 13:53:32 UTC 2010

Hi Matt

You probably want option domain-search, which came out around 3.1.0.
This is from the dhcp-options man page:

      option domain-search domain-list;

        The domain-search option  specifies  a  'search  list'  of
        Domain  Names  to  be  used  by  the client to locate not-
        fully-qualified domain names.  The difference between this
        option  and historic use of the domain-name option for the
        same ends is  that  this  option  is  encoded  in  RFC1035
        compressed labels on the wire.  For example:

          option domain-search "example.com", "sales.example.com",
                               "eng.example.com";

You can set this within the subnet scope on your dhcp server. Assuming
that each subnet is only located in one site, then you can reorder the
search list for each subnet.

regards,
-glenn