Two subnets, one with PXE clients

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:16:23 UTC 2010

Osmany wrote:

>  > You do NOT need a separate network card for this, and in fact it will
>>  complicate matters if you do. You can add multiple IP addresses to
>>  one interface, use the "ip" command to do this, eg "ip addr add
>>  192.168.0.1/24 dev eth0" will add 192.168.0.1 to whatever is already
>>  configured on eth0. Ubuntu is Debian derived, so you can add this to
>>  /etc/network/interfaces to have it done automatically :
>>
>>  auto eth0
>>  iface eth0 inet static
>>     address 10.25.4.1
>>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>>     up ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth0
>>

>I tried to do this but when I did the dhcp3-server could not start
>because it detects multiple IPs on that interface. On the other hand
>when I add another NIC and configure it with the address 192.168.0.1 I
>get the udhcpc nak on the client side. How can I solve this?

What did the server say ? It should work, and is working for others.

When you added the second NIC, the problem you got is the one I had
in mind when I wrote "it will complicate matters if you do" !

Have you defined both subnets to be members of a shared network ? If
not then you'll never get it working right.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it.
This is NOT the same thing as the printer drivers to load on the
computer - there's no problem there.
If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful -
requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...