what is a suitable scope for isc dhcp?

Nils-Henner Krueger nhk at snhc-krueger.de
Mon Jun 28 08:21:25 UTC 2010

Am 28.06.2010 09:09, schrieb Simon Hobson:
> Julie Xu wrote:
>> if I need list 30,000 host statement, is dhcpd will crash? or some
>> perfermance isse? ( I mean using unix or linux box).
>
> I don't know about that, but I do know some people are running very
> large installations (I vaguely recall someone is serving in excess of
> 200k clients). Performance is usually limited by IO, so even a modest
> processor will cope as long as the IO (mostly disk) can keep up. There
> are some tunings that can improve things.

Beside the io limit you should mention that there are existing cpu bound
limits if you come to a great many requests per seconds. According to my
observations during load testing you will not be able to handle
significantly more than about 200 requests per second even with
leases-db on a ramdisk and an actual 3ghz cpu. The server will still
work fine but there will be packet loss at udp level.

The subject was discussed on the list a few weeks ago, see for example
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/htdig/dhcp-users/2010-June/011517.html

nils-henner