DHCP + ldap

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Tue Jun 8 23:08:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 05:11:15PM +0200, Richard Pijnenburg wrote:
> > I've restarted the 4.2.0b1 version multiple times.
> > Just as a test i've removed my host definitions, started the dhcp
> server.
> > Started the client and didn't get an IP.
> > Added the host definition and i got an IP.

Hm, I may not understand some facets of how the ldap patch works then.

> I haven't seen any replies yet. For now this solution works but i wonder
> if this process will ever change?
> I'm also wondering if there are plans to make a Mysql patch because it's
> more common ( imho ) then ldap.

We took on the LDAP patch mostly to be a locus where patches could be
sent and kept, rather than fragmenting the work among the community.
But the plan is also to understand it more ourselves, improve it, and
understand the problem space.

Once you have (2) lease/config/etc databases, you really want (N), and
a way for anyone to plug any database in.

So it's a learning process towards SQL's, BDB's, deeper integration
scripty things or XML or whatnot that we're doing in BIND 10, and
BIND 10's DHCP services.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.