Need help with Avaya IP phones

Soren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:38:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> Phusion wrote:
>
>  Up to this point, I've been programming each IP phone with a static IP
>> address and entering the data.
>>
>> Phone: 192.168.101.x
>> Call Server: 192.168.101.10
>> Call Server Port: 1719
>> Router: 192.168.101.1
>> Mask: 255.255.255.0
>> File Server: 192.168.1.34
>> 802.1Q: On
>> VLAN ID: 101
>> VLAN Test: 300
>>
>> Now, that we are using IP phones more it would be easier if the phones
>> would get DHCP leases. I will also look to see where the DHCP server
>> is plugged in respect to the power-over-ethernet switch and IP phones.
>>

> Hmm, I'm a bit slow off the mark today ...
>
> It's not something I've done - we haven't bothered segregating our small
> installation of IP telephony stuff (we have an Asterisk box and a few
> Grandstream and Aastra phones at work). I think what needs to happen is for
> the phone to boot on the default VLAN and get a config. Part of the config
> will be the VLAN it should be on, and on receiving that the phone should
> then switch VLAN and ask for a new address/config.
>
> If you think about it, if you are dynamically configuring the phones like
> this, it doesn't know the VLAN it should be on until it's at least partially
> configured.

Do you have phones with switched ethernet ports so that the setup
is

PC ---> phone -----> (PoE) switch

which is what we have with Mitel 5212/5234 phones, and Cisco
2950 switches with PoE injectors.

I can't remember the Cisco config -- but there's some magic setup
so that the phone traffic is tagged and automagically assigned to
a "voice VLAN".  Then the phones appear to be sitting in a physically
separate network & the DHCP config just treats the phones like
they're in a separate network.
--
Soren Aalto
Director: ICT