help with dhcpv6 over pppv6 on linux

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 21:27:57 UTC 2010

David W. Hankins wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:17:02AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
>>  Unless things have changed from V3, PPP interfaces are not supported. I
>>  forget the precise details, but it's related to not being a broadcast
>>  interface.
>>
>>  I think only Ethernet, Token Ring, and possibly IEEE1498 (aka Firewire) are
>>  supported (not sure about the last one).
>
>DHCPv6 is different; it requires multicast and link local addresses,
>which IPv6 specifies to be required on all media layers.  PPP
>meanwhile "WILL NOT" be extended with an IPv6 LCP, so if nodes will
>be dynamically assigned addresses on PPP interfaces that only leaves
>DHCPv6.
>We also don't have any of the "Raw Socket" baggage with DHCPv6
>because of the multicast and link-local address elements of design.

Definite improvement there, and I guess you aren't shedding many
tears at the lost baggage !

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...