Peer Holds all free leases on DHCPD 4.1.0p1

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Jan 29 20:36:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 07:42:46PM -0800, Billy Ng wrote:
> I'm using option 82 to assign fix IP address to specific client. When the client requesting the IP address, the server always replied "DHCPDISCOVER from 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx via 1.1.1.1: peer holds all free leases".
>
> Suppose this client will obtain the IP address 1.1.1.10 and I've checked from the omshell this IP address state is "00:00:00:01". Any idea?

The function that attempts to find and later allocate an address for
clients does not know at the end of its work the reason why it could
not find or allocate an address.

So although the server in this situation might log either "no free
leases" or "peer holds all free leases" depending on the version and
situation, in actuality what you are probably looking at is that your
permit/deny lists on the pools in configuration does not allow any
allocation to be made to this client.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.