ipv6 ddns dhcp-4.1.1rc1

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Jan 29 20:31:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 02:54:41PM +0100, "Lorenz Röhrl" wrote:
> I did run tcpdump on the outgoing interface of the dhcpd and didn't see any
> packets leaving. It seems like dhcpd tries to update a local dns server
> (which isn't there).
>
> How can i specify which dns-server to use for updates? The keyword
> "primary" inside the zone-statement doesn't seem to accept ipv6-addresses.

If a "zone" statement is not provided that explicitly provides an
over-ride, dhcpd will query the global DNS for an SOA and use the
MNAME field to designate the zone's master to direct updates towards.

In the general case, this works fine.  It breaks down, however, when
you specify a domain name that does not exist in the global namespace,
such as;

> ddns-domainname "test6.net";

Or if your domain has a mis-configured SOA (that does not identify
the true master in the MNAME field).

In either case you must specify a zone "" {} stanza to identify the
master.  I believe this is exampled in the dhcpd.conf(5) manpage (the
section titled "DYNAMIC DNS UPDATE SECURITY") explicitly.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.