two dhcp problem

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 21:02:31 UTC 2010

José Ortiz wrote:

>I had only one authoritative dhcp server, which
>is configure to give dhcp parameters only to
>known clients and it works correctly, the
>configuration only consist in one subnet a we
>add all know clients using a host declaration.
>We decide to add other dhcp server in a
>different subnet that share the same fisycal
>networt with the fist one, the configuration is
>the same in both servers only differs the subnet
>and the set of clients.  All linux and mac
>clients are able to adquire dhcp paramtres from
>the server where they are known clients, but
>some windows clients if they recieve dhcpnack
>from the server where they are unknow clients
>always keep waiting and never adquires dhcp
>information and if i stop the server that
>doesn´t know thier, They immediatly get the dhcp
>parameters. Someone has been a similar problem?

You need to define both subnets on both servers.

When a client in subnet A tries to acquire a
lease, server A will offer and address and server
B will ignore it. The client will then request
the address, but server B will always DHCP-NAK it
as being invalid for it's subnet.

So you need to define subnet B on server A, and
subnet A on server B - they can both be empty
declarations like this :

subnet a.b.c.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

Once you do this, each server will silently
ignore clients when they request an address on
the 'other' subnet.

PS - don't worry too much about your English,
it's better than a lot of English people can be
bothered to write !

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP
360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or
possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the
disk and re-install the printer OS on it. If
anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be
grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's
been out of support for years.