IPv6 DDNS using dhcp-4.1.0p1

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Thu Jan 21 18:28:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 04:05:59PM -0800, brett lee wrote:
> Thanks for the details, David!  I really appreciate it.
>
> Am now running the 4.1.1 client (FreeBSD
> 8) and server (Solaris 10u4).  As I understood the DDNS section of the
> client man page, have the client configured like this:
>
> [root at freebsdvm8 ~]# cat /usr/local/etc/dhclient.conf
> send fqdn.fqdn "freebsdvm8.apevt.local.";
> send fqdn.encoded on;
> send fqdn.server-update off;
> also request fqdn, dhcp6.fqdn;
> interface le0 { send ia-na 0; }
> id-assoc na 0 { }
> [root at freebsdvm8 ~]#

I'm not really sure what's going on, that should work (you've got
'ignore client-updates' on the server end).  You may want to try
turning on server-update on the client, if it works after that we're
looking at some kind of bug with ignore client-updates.  ignore is
supposed to perform the update the server wants but let the client
believe it may perform the update the client wants.

It's been a long time since I've looked at the client, I can't
remember what 'send ia-na 0;' and 'id-assoc na 0 {}' do.  You should
be able to use the client without those lines, so that's worth a shot
too.

> [root at freebsdvm8 ~]# strings /var/db/dhclient6.leases
> default-duid "\000\001\000\001\022\350\2214\000\014)\364\206\204";
> [root at freebsdvm8 ~]#
>
> and stuck it into the host definition as the dhcp6.client-id:
>
> host freebsdvm8 {
>      host-identifier option dhcp6.client-id "\000\001\000\001\022\350\2214\000\014)\364\206\204";
>      fixed-address6  2bad:0000:0564:0001::22;
> }

That should work.

> The good news is that DHCPD seems to be offering up the stateful
> fixed-address6 to this host; the bad news is the host doesn't accept it.  Am pretty sure the client is now sending the FQDN, but am not confident at all on the rest of the config, as even stateless addresses offered by dhcpd are not accepted.  Any thoughts?

We don't install dhclient-script by default, and your client system
probably has one (freebsd has a /sbin/dhclient-script).  Check and
make sure the dhclient-script the dhclient daemon is using has the
code to install V6 addresses.

That's the most frequent cause of this sort of problem.

I'd like to install a script by default, but it's hard to know what
script will work for the local system (and I have reservations writing
over a native script some platforms provide, they're usually better
integrated).

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.