dhcpd version 4.1.1 in production environment ?

Bjarne Blichfeldt Bjarne.Blichfeldt at bec.dk
Thu Jan 21 08:02:06 UTC 2010

We are using isc-dhcp 3.0.7 in our production environment at the moment.
Two RHEL linux servers, failover, loadsharing -  about 570 subnets.

I understand that there has been a lot of development in the failover protocol and I am interested in
taking advantage of that. The failover scenario is very important to us due to the many subnets.

What is the concensus of moving to version 4.1.1 ( or anything beyond 3.0) ?

I am a little puzzled/concerned, as to why linux distributions and FreeBSD are using old versions
of dhcpd. Red Hat defaults to 3.0.5, OpenSuse defaults to 3.1.2 and FreeBSD latest version in the ports is 3.1.3.

Does that mean version 4.1.1 is not really tested and ready or are the old versions so good that nobody wants to move ?
Should we maybe go for version 3.1.x instead of 4.1.1 ?

I am looking for rock steady operation. No experiments.

Regards,
Bjarne Blichfeldt