Concurrent hits limitation

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Jan 18 12:13:34 UTC 2010

> I want to know about the limitation in DHCP server. Actually we are running dhcp on failover mode with 800 subnet and it will be going to expand.
>
> I need to know how many hits (concurrent connections) dhcp services can handle.

Heavily dependent on your disk subsystem. Also on whether you use dhcpd
to perform dynamic DNS updates.

Handling DHCP requests is *disk intensive*. A good RAID subsystem with
lots of battery backed cache, or a solid state disk, will do wonders.

How many IP addresses do you have among your 800 subnets? What's your
lease time? What's your *target* for DHCP updates (Request/Ack) per
second?

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no