[DHCP] RE: Determining request

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:15:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com>wrote:

>   It will require some reconfiguring of either another subnet and packet
> forwarding, or configuring VLANs on the main switch the APs are on, or do
> some type of song and dance with WINS.

It's not an either/or for those options.  You have to do all of those.  The
VLANS will be on separate subnets and WINS is what will make Network
Neighbor continue working as-is ( at least that is what another person said
WINS will do ).

So the steps are:

1) set up vlans on your switch, for instance VLAN 101 and VLAN 102.  Put the
ports connected to your APs in VLAN 102 and the ports for your  wired
computers in VLAN 101.

2) You do have two options for connection the vlans to your Fedora router:

2A) put a second nic in the Fedora box and put the port for one nic in VLAN
101 and the port for the other nic in VLAN 102.  Configure iptables to allow
routing between the two nics.

2B) use a single nic.  Configure the port on the switch as a vlan trunk
port.  Configure the nic in Fedora as a vlan trunk for and set up a virtual
interface for VLAN 101 and a virtual interface for VLAN 102.  This is a
little more complicated because you have to learn how to configure vlan
trunking in Fedora, but it's really pretty easy.  This is they way I would
do it because it's more flexible.  Configure iptables to allow routing
between the two virtual interfaces.

3)  Set up WINS on one of your servers.  I would use a SAMBA server.

This is really a very standard set up and you'll learn things that you'll
really need to eventually learn anyway as your network grows.