[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Glen R. J. Neff neff_glen at emc.com
Thu Jan 7 15:22:25 UTC 2010

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
>>> Your workstations should have no problem finding the servers across subnets
>>> using DNS.
>> DNS can work for Active Directory I believe, but what if the users want
>> to use or want their "Network Neighborhood" stuff to work?
>> Sadly, I don't believe this uses DNS.
> That uses WINS, and WINS can handle multiple subnets. I'm doing that
> with samba based servers and different subnets in different physical
> locations. Works. Windows simply browses. It will help if DNS is setup
> correctly though.

WINS is as obsolete as NT4.  Active Directory relies on Dynamic-DNS,
especially for clients on a different subnet than the resources they're
trying to reach.

Bind works swimmingly with AD.  You need to allow the zone to update via
IP or subnet.  At a minimum you need to include the domain controllers
and your DHCP server, if you want it doing the registration.  If you
want to allow all clients to self-register, then you need to allow the
subnets the clients are on.

-G

--
/*