Corrupt dhcpd.conf file

Glen R. J. Neff neff_glen at emc.com
Wed Jan 6 19:58:07 UTC 2010

Ausmus, Matt wrote:
> I’ve had this issue twice now.  I built the dhcpd.conf file on a Windows
> workstation using Notepad++.  I don’t remember if I used Notepad++ or
> gVim on the first file.  When the phone request a dhcp address it is
> getting a default route from a different subnet.  When I plug a regular
> workstation (in this case Windows XP) in, it receives the correct
> default route information.  This would lead me to think that the phones
> are doing something wrong.  The problem is that if I build a new
> dhcpd.conf file locally on the server or pull one off another Linux box
> and then modify the file natively in Linux the problem goes away.  All I
> can think is that there is some type of hidden data left in the file
> from editing it in a text editor in Windows that is not removed when I
> run dos2unix against the file.   Using vim with :set list enabled, I
> compared the working file and the bad file to see if anything looked out
> of place and I didn’t see anything wrong.   I also looked at the file
> using od –c and I didn’t see anything that looked out of place.

If you're going to insist on editing unix config files in Windows, I'd
suggest using WordPad instead of NotePad, as it can tolerate the
different carriage return style.  Just take care that you're
editing/saving it as text, and not Rich Text Format.

Honestly though, I'd get a copy of 'vilearn' and just learn vi.  You can
be a vi expert in give easy lessons.  There's nothing faster or easier,
once you give it a little time.

-G

--
/*