[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Randall C Grimshaw rgrimsha at syr.edu
Tue Jan 5 21:37:30 UTC 2010

Ashley:

>From the Procurve doc on hp.com this is not your solution either all by itself. You lack a routing functionality and that would mean still more manuals to figure out what you could use instead (firewall, internet router).

I also checked Linksys.com and the WAP is a soho router where the users are behind a NAT - Which means that the APs have their own DHCP. I don't think what you are describing is even relevant.

Can we start over.

Randy

support for up to 8 IEEE 802.1Q-compliant VLANs so you can divide the attached end nodes into logical groupings that fit your business needs
Effect of VLANsIf you configure multiple virtual LANs (VLANs) on the switch, each VLAN behaves as a "logical switch" containing the switch ports that you assign to it. Each logical switch behaves as an isolated broadcast domain, just as if it were a separate physical switch. The forward, filter, and flood behavior described for the physical switch above, operates the same for each of the logical switches defined by the VLANs: packets are forwarded or flooded only to the ports that are within a given VLAN. Just as for separate physical switches, there is no communication between ports that are in separate VLANs unless the VLANs are connected by an external router. For more information on configuring VLANs and their behavior, see the HPProCurve Switch 8000M and 1600M Management and Configuration Guide that came with your switch.