Bind DHCP to a specific ip

Chris Arnold carnold at electrichendrix.com
Sun Jan 3 18:41:19 UTC 2010

>On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Chris Arnold
><carnold> wrote:
>> Happy new year to you all!
>> We are at a spot where we may need to bind dhcp to a specific
>> ip/interface on the dhcp server. When running netstat -nlp, dhcp shows
>> 0.0.0.0:67, which i believe means dhcp is listening on all ip addresses
>> on the dhcp server. This server is SLES10 SP3 and has 2 nic's. Is it
>> possible to bind dhcp to a specific ip/interface on the dhcp server?
>>
>>Search the man page for "local-address" and "server-identifier."
>
>The man dhcpd does not contain those phrases/words. The man i am
>looking at is dhcpd(8)

>Those words are for when you have multiple IPs on one interface.

>> *EDIT
>> man dhcpd says "the names of the network interfaces on which dhcp
>> should listen for broadcasts may be specified on the command line" but
>> i do not see anywhere in that man where it says what the syntax should
>> be, i.e dhcpd eth0....
>>
>> Can anyone clarify?

>% man dhcpd
Yea i read that in the man file but did not know the correct syntax

># dhcpd hme1

>Depending on your Linux distro there may be some specific config file
>to put these command line options in.
We use SLES10 SP3 (not sure where to put command line options in SLES10). This command does not go in a dhcp config file?

>The startup scripts are not part
>of the dhcpd distribution, and are usually customised by the distro
>maintainers.
Upon further inspection: netstat -nlp shows 0.0.0.0:67 but dhcpd eth1 shows it is lisenting on and sending on eth1. Is this the way it is suppose to look?