Address from wrong pool

Friesen, Don SSBC:EX Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca
Fri Feb 5 14:22:54 UTC 2010

> Siegenthaler Tina wrote:
>Hm, that seems to work, but the problem with this will be that if a
>such a client moves to a different subnet it won't get an IP there,
>because its not a known-client. We have some hosts (notebooks) that
>should have a fixed IP in their "home" subnet and which will be
>assigned a dynamic IP in all other subnets - so those two seem to
>collide when using this configuration. setup.
>
>Tina

   I may be off base on your intention, but we have lots of notebooks
that need fixed addresses on some networks and dynamic on others.
I never worried.  I assign the fixed addresses in the host declaration.
Some even appear in multiple groups to get different options.  The ISC
DHCP daemon assigns the correct address depending on the network, and
if none of the fixed-addresses apply to the network the DISCOVER has
come from, it gets one from a permitted dynamic pool in the network.

   group {
      option ...
      host nb0074 {
         hardware ethernet 00:21:86:12:1f:24;
         fixed-address 10.24.100.39, 10.25.45.234;
      }
      host ...

Don