log line question

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 19:43:57 UTC 2010

Bruce Hudson wrote:

>     It appears to be the DHCP Server Identifier from the request so
>it should be the IP address of your DHCP server. The server should
>ignore any that do not match.

Correct, it is the server identifier - but that doesn't mean the
server should ignore it. The server will ignore unicast requests
since it won't see them at all - but of the other server is offline
then eventually the client will broadcast it's requests - which I
think it will also do after waking/starting up/etc.

If the client is broadcasting it's requests, then the server should
respond if the address is valid and available to the client. If the
address isn't valid/available, then the server is required to reply
with DHCP-Nak if configured to be authoritative - it is the only
mechanism to telling a client to stop using an invalid address (such
as one carried over from a different network).
--
Simon Hobson