DHCP Relay & Option 82

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 16:59:45 UTC 2010

Alan Bryant wrote:

>I was finally able to get the DHCP server to give out the correct IP's
>from the correct subnets. However, randomly across our entire network,
>clients would not renew their leases and then later they would all of
>a sudden get a lease. Network upheaval for sure.

At a guess, your switches aren't intercepting the unicast renewal
packets between client and server to add the Option 82 info - OR you
have somehow prevented them from reaching the server. In that case,
the client would not be able to renew initially, but towards the end
of it's lease it would broadcast a request and that works.
--
Simon Hobson