dhcpd leases: abandonded

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 15:51:40 UTC 2010

Jeff Stettenbenz wrote:
>I have an issue where:
>
>-client A declines its lease
>-client A discovers for a new IP
>-dhcpd marks client A's lease as abandoned
>-client A request/offer/ACK's
>-client B dhcpdiscover
>-dhcpd offers client A's IP address
>-client B starts a 4 hour DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPOFFER loop
>

>Is there a way to increase the amount of time that an abandoned IP
>address is set as "abandoned"?
>Should 'deny declines;' be used in this case?
>Apr 28 05:13:42 -dhcp-01 dhcpd: Reclaiming abandoned IP address
>192.168.194.20.

Abaondoned addresses are only used as a last resort (the server will
prefer in decreasing order: unused addresses, previously used but now
free addresses, abandoned addresses) - so the fact that it's being
reclaimed suggests you are out of available addresses. Make some more
addresses available, or remove some clients, and I suspect the
problem will disappear.

My guess would be that there is a device using 192.168.194.20 that
shouldn't be, and so any client offered that address is unable to use
it. The first is able to decline it, but the second is silent and
just goes back to get a different one.

--
Simon Hobson