dual stack support in dhclient

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 2 07:42:48 UTC 2010

Dears,

Does dhclient have dual-stack support?

I've been trying to find that, and could not. For a number of reasons i
believe a lot of deployments will be fully or partially dual-stack for a
number or years. Background:
- many currently deployed devices do not support IPv6 and will not
(cannot) be upgraded to support IPv6
- There is going to be a transition time when you need to have both IPv6
and IPv4 access, as many (web)sites are still not IPv6 capable and it
will take time for them to move to dual-stack support.

My experiments of last week found that on linux the bottle-neck seems to
be resolv.conf, where both the dhcp IPv4 client and the IPv6 dhcp client
want to write it. As a result the contents are usually not correct.

At the moment it is possible to work around this on a dual stack machine
by ensuring the IPv6 dhcp client does not touch resolv.conf. Better
would be if it would change only the IPv6 related parts, or if one dhcp
client handles both IPv4 and IPv6.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rudy