Migration from V3.0rc4 to current version

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Sep 24 13:32:01 UTC 2009

Hi Andreas

The only migration tool is a script in the contrib directory of the
source distribution to convert the lease file for 3.0b1 and prior
versions. A release candidate comes after a beta, so 3.0rc4 is later
than this so the formats should be compatible.

You can test dhcpd.conf using "dhcpd -t" and test the lease file using
"dhcpd -T". Please post the results if you are able. Also a copy of the
relevant part of the dhcpd.conf would help. It is probably quite simple
to convert that. Same for dhcpd.leases too.

The directories where dhcpd.conf and dhcpd.leases are expected to be
might have changed for your distro between 3.0 and current version.

What OS/platform is your new server and what version of dhcpd are you
trying to use? Are you using failover? How many clients and leases are we
talking about (hundreds, thousands, millions)?

The lease file is documented in the dhcpd.leases man page.

If you can't get the new version to reasd the old lease file then a
workaround may be to reduce the lease times back to something very
short, say 30 minutes on the old server, wait your current lease time
for everything to pick up a new short lease, shutdown dhcpd and wait
the 30 minutes for them all to expire, and then cutover to the new one
with a zero sized dhcpd.leases and let the clients re-request their old
lease.

regards,
-glenn
--